How to Apply
Wollongong City Council welcomes applications for vacancies listed on our Online Recruitment Portal.
Follow the steps below to get started.
Visit our Online Recruitment Portal to see positions that are currently open for application.
Click on Available Jobs and then select the Position Listing and click Apply.
This will take you to an application screen where you can see the advertisement, information pack, job description and instructions on how to apply.
The best advice we can give to you as an applicant is to do your research and don’t leave your application until the last minute!
- Read all the job information available on our Portal to get a good idea of the role and what it involves.
- Review the Essential Requirements and any other instructions on how to apply.
- Contact the person listed in the advertisement If you have any questions about the position or the application process.
- Prepare your written application. We recommend you do this in a separate Word (or similar) document so you can copy and paste your answers into the online form when you're ready to submit your application. This will also help you avoid losing your work in case your online session times out, as any changes will not be saved if this happens.
Clearly write out each of the essential requirements and explain how you meet that requirement, using real-world examples.
One or two paragraphs per criteria is usually fine, but feel free to write more or less as you need.
Please note: there is a 4,000 character limit for each answer.
- Have your current resume and any supporting documents ready to go. These will need to be attached to the online form.
Go to the Online Recruitment Portal then click on Available Jobs.
Select the Position Listing and click Apply.
Enter your details in the online application form and attach your resume and any supporting documents needed.
Click the button to submit your application.
Don't have a computer or internet access?
All job applications must be made online.
If you don't have a computer or internet access, you can visit any Wollongong City Libraries location. All of our libraries have free WiFi and computers that can be used for word processing, to check emails, or to go online. Computers are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you're applying from outside the Wollongong area, check with your nearest public library - most will also offer computer and internet access.
After you submit an application, you will automatically be sent an email asking you to confirm your identity.
Click the link in this email to confirm your identity and finalise your application.
If you have not received the email shortly after applying, please check your spam or junk email folder.
Once you have confirmed your identity, you will get another confirmation that your application has been submitted.
Once you have applied for a position you will receive a 'thanks for registering' email.
This email will include instructions on how to create an account so you can:
- Log in and track your existing applications
- Manage your applicant profile
- Apply for new positions.
Note that you do not have to create an online account if you prefer not to. In this case, we will still contact you to advise the outcome of your application.
How to create an account
- Click on the link in the 'thanks for registering' email
- Create a new, unique password
- Log in using the link in the 'thanks for registering' email
- Read and accept our terms and conditions.
Once you have logged in you will be able to view available jobs and track your applications by clicking the My Applicant tile.
Having problems creating an account? Call our recruitment team on (02) 4227 7065 during business hours.
- Your Council Officials
- 2023 Referendum: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice
- Council Meetings
Access to Information
- Agency Information Guide
- Contracts Register
- Contracts Register - Class 1
- Contracts Register - Class 2
- Contracts Register - Class 3
- Council Position Statements Register
- Council Voting Register
- Current Leases and Licences
- Delegations Register
- Designated Officers
- Development Application Register (Application Tracking)
- Development Approvals
- Development Contributions Register
- Disclosure Log
- Graffiti Removal Register
- Investments Register
- Land Register
- Planning Agreements Register
- Political Donations and Gifts
- Tree Removal Register
- Variation to Development Standards Register
- Jobs at Council
- Fees and Charges
- Plans and Reports
- Council Policies
- Corporate Governance
Committees and Groups
- Aboriginal Reference Group
- Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
- Australia Day Committee
- Cycling Advisory Groups
- Floodplain Committees
- Lake Illawarra CMP Implementation Group
- Sports and Facilities Reference Group
- Traffic Committee
- Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group
- West Dapto Review Committee
- Wollongong Heritage Reference Group
- Southern Regional Planning Panel
- Wollongong Local Planning Panel
- Community Land