Rise & Shine Clean Up Guide
We want our wonderful Rise & Shine volunteers to stay safe while they're helping us care for the environment.
Below is a guide to help you clean up safely.
We will also provide an induction sheet to registered groups. This will need to be signed by participants before the clean up begins.
If there's anything you're not sure about, email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Keep these points in mind while cleaning up:
- Dress appropriately to protect yourself:
- Covered sturdy footwear (such as boots or sandshoes) must be worn.
- Use sunscreen and a hat
- Wear sunglasses or eye protection to reduce the risk of eye injuries, particularly when working near bushes, shrubs or trees.
- We recommend you wear long pants and long sleeves
- Use sturdy gloves, such as gardening gloves, during the clean up.
- Do not touch or remove syringes. Report the location of the syringe to the supervisor so they can arrange for it to be disposed of properly in a Syringe Disposal Unit.
- Beware of any broken glass, barbed wire or other sharp items.
- Beware of any locations where snakes and spiders may be. Be alert and proceed with caution at all time. Make sure you communicate any finds or incidents to the group coordinator.
- Do not attempt to remove asbestos or material that looks like asbestos. Isolate the area and report the location.
- Do not climb over rocks or steep embankments. Be wary of uneven ground.
- Drink water frequently, particularly in hot weather.
Clean up supervisors should make sure that:
- A First Aid Kit is provided and on site during the clean up
- Any groups of children have proper supervision and guidance.
The supervisor of a clean up site is responsible for the safe collection and disposal of any syringes found. Please remind all participants that they are not to touch syringes, and must alert the supervisor of the location of any syringes found.
The supervisor must wear protective gloves while collecting syringes, and place syringes in the special containers provided. All syringe containers are to be returned to Council's Rise & Shine team as soon as possible after the clean up.
Clean Up Bags
Each group will be given around 15 reusable clean up bags. If you need more bags, call Mike on (02) 4227 7263 or 0418 420 915, or Julie on 0438 925 623.
Bags will be delivered to the group's contact person one to two weeks before the date of your proposed clean up.
We can arrange waste containers through Thiess or Cleanaway for large amounts of rubbish. Make sure you write the position where you would like your bin placed when registering your group, or email or call us on (02) 4227 7111 with details.
Note that when multiple groups are collecting at the same day, waste container availability may be limited. If a waste container isn't available, group rubbish in a pile and call Mike on (02) 4227 7263 or 0418 420 915 to advise the location of the rubbish.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food and Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- Aboriginal Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Sustainable Living