Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

New or Recently Moved Residents

Welcome to our beautiful city on Dharawal Country!

If you've recently moved to - or within - the City of Wollongong, check out the information below to help you feel at home sooner.

If you have a question not covered here, please explore this website, call our Customer Service team on (02) 4227 7111, or see our contact us page for other ways to get in touch.

If you've moved within the city, make sure you update your details so you don't miss out on any important information from Council.

You can also visit the Service NSW website for a handy checklist of other people and businesses you might need to tell about your new address.

Your bins

Most households in our city have three bins with different coloured lids.

Bin lid colourWhat goes inHow often it's picked up
GreenFood organics and garden organics, also know as FOGO.Every week
YellowRecycling, like paper, cardboard, hard plastics, glass bottles and jars, and steel and tin cans.Every second week
RedGeneral waste, or non-organic material that can't be recycled.Every week

If you live in a large unit complex, you may have different arrangements for your bins. Check with your building manager or real estate agent if you're not sure.

You can also visit the Wollongong Waste website and enter your address to check what day your bins are collected.

If you have any problems with your bins, visit the Wollongong Waste website or call the Waste Hotline 1300 362 360.

Order bins for a new home

If you've built a new home and need to arrange bins, you can complete the online form on the Wollongong Waste website or call 1300 362 360.

On-Call Household Cleanups

Each household gets two free clean-ups every financial year.

  • If you live in a stand-alone home, or a complex with 8 or less units, you can book your cleanups online any time.
  • If you live in a complex with 9 or more units, you will need to contact your managing body (Body Corporate, Strata Manager or Department of Housing NSW Officer) to arrange a cleanup.

Remember, it's illegal to dump items on the kerb if you haven't booked a clean up.

Our waste depot

Our city's waste goes to Wollongong Waste and Resource Recovery Park – also known as Whytes Gully – at Kembla Grange.

For hours, location details, and fees, see the Our Waste Depot page.

Recycle problem household items

The Community Recycling Centre at our waste depot lets you drop off lots of household items for free to be recycled. This includes excess recycling that won't fit in your yellow bin, plus many common types of problem waste, like paint, oils, batteries, old computers and TVs, and more.

We also have Community Recycling Stations at some library locations. These accept batteries, mobile phones, smoke alarms and x-rays.

What to do with your moving boxes?

If you've got lots of cardboard boxes from moving, and they won't fit in your yellow recycling bin, drop them off for free to be recycled at our waste depot's Community Recycling Centre.

How to pay your rates

Rates can be paid online, in person, over the phone, or by posting a cheque. For details, see the Pay Your Rates page.

What your rates are used for

Your Council rates go towards providing services and facilities for the community, and the cost of running our city. This includes everything Council does, from collecting waste and maintaining roads, to buying library books and patrolling beaches.

Get your rates notice electronically

Go paperless and get your rates notice sent straight to your inbox! Make sure you have your rates account number handy, then register to get your rates notice by email

Pension rebates

Pensioners may be able to get a discount of up to $250 on their residential rates. To receive this discount, you must apply to Council.

If you move house, this discount will NOT automatically transfer, and you'll need to reapply for the discount at your new address.

See the 'Pensioner discounts' section of the Pay Your Rates page for more information and to download the application form.

Update your automatic payments

If you had automatic rates payments set up for your old property, make sure you update the details for your new property. This includes:

  • The amount you pay - every property will be different, so check that you're not over- or under-paying on your new property
  • The reference number - make sure you've included your new reference number so your rates aren't still going to the old property.

For more information about Council rates, see the Pay Your Rates page or call us on (02) 4227 7111.

Trees on your property

If you want to prune or remove a tree on your property, you may need permission from Council. See the Trees on Your Property page for details.

Greening your suburb

We're working to make Wollongong a greener city by adding more trees and plants. There are lots of ways you can help - see the Greening Your Suburb page for details.

Residents can also buy native plants at discounted prices through our Botanic Garden's regular Greenplan Sales.

Trees and plants in front of your house

You should not plant trees in public spaces, but you can ask Council to plant a tree on the land in front of your house. Request a street tree online or call us on (02) 4227 7111.

You can also plant a verge garden (with no trees) in front of your property as long as you follow the guidelines on our Verge Gardens page.

We have seven libraries from Helensburgh to Dapto where you can borrow books, use our computers and free internet, take part in community events and much more!

Our home library service can deliver to you if it's difficult for you to get to a library.

It's free to become a member of Wollongong City Libraries. Your membership also gives you access to a great range of free online resources.

Visit the libraries' website to learn more.

Update your pet's details

If you've changed address, it's important to update the registration details for your dog or cat as soon as possible. Visit the NSW Pet Registry website, or download the hard copy form PDF, 143.08 KB and return it to Council.

See our pet registration page for more details.

Explore spaces for dogs

Wollongong has many beaches and parks you can enjoy with your dog on- or off-leash.

Find dog-friendly spaces and learn the rules that apply by visiting our Dog Beaches and Parks page.

Property information and certificates

Want flood, zoning, building or other information about your property? See our Property Information page for a range of information and certificates that can be requested from Council.

Improving your property

See our Development pages or residential development guide if you're thinking of doing any building work or renovations on your property.

You can also contact us for Development Advice if you need help understanding the rules.

If your proposed work needs a development application, visit our Submit a DA page to get started.

View Development Applications

Visit our View an Application page to find DAs currently on exhibition, or to search for a past application in our DA register.

We have lots of great ways you can get involved in our local community and get to know more people:

If you'd like to know more about our city and its history, you can also check out the About Wollongong pages.

There are lots of great ways for people of all ages to get active in Wollongong.

  • Beaches:  We have 17 beautiful patrolled beaches from Stanwell Park to Windang. Some beaches also have features to support people with disability.
  • Pools: From heated freshwater pools to saltwater and tidal rock pools, you're never far from somewhere to swim.
  • Australia's only UCI Bike City: Wollongong is the only UCI Bike City in Australia - and the southern hemisphere! There are many ways you can ride in Wollongong.
  • Sportsgrounds: Check for the latest status updates. You can also search online for local groups if you're looking for a team to join.
  • Playgrounds and skate parks: We have lots of built spaces for play.
  • Outdoor fitness: We've installed outdoor fitness equipment in several parks across our city. These are free for anyone to use.

We have staff who can speak several community languages, including AUSLAN, and can help you when you're dealing with Council. Visit our Language Services page for details.

People with hearing or speech impairment

If you're deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service on 13 36 77, or by using Deaf Connect.

Common questions in Easy English

We have a list of questions we are asked a lot with simple answers on our Common Questions in Easy English page.

We want to make Wollongong a better place for people of all abilities.

Visit our People with Disability page to learn more about the ways we're working to make Wollongong a more inclusive city.

We also have a Disability Access Guide and Accessible Parking page to help you find and use accessible services and facilities.

The City of Wollongong is led by a Lord Mayor and 12 Councillors.

Our city is divided into three Council Wards, with four Councillors elected from each Ward. The Lord Mayor is elected by voters across all three Wards.

Visit the Your Council Officials page to learn more about our current Councillors and Lord Mayor, and find out which Ward you live in.

Jobs at Council

Wollongong City Council is one of the largest employers in our region, and we regularly offer job opportunities across a wide range of fields.

Visit our Jobs pages to see current positions vacant and learn more about working for us.

Running a business

If you're a business owner or manager, switch over to our Business homepage to find lots of great resources and support, plus links to local business networks.

Do business with Council

Council is a major purchaser of goods and services within the Wollongong economy. Visit our Tenders, Quotations and EOIs page to see current opportunities.

We also have a Doing Business with Council guide to help you understand how we work with our suppliers.

West Dapto is the fastest-growing residential area in New South Wales outside the Sydney region.

Check out our New Residents in West Dapto page if you're moving to this part of our city.

Visit the Report an Issue page or call us on (02) 4227 7111 to let us know about Council-related problems. That page also includes details about where to report some common issues not handled by Council.

For urgent Council-related issues outside business hours, call (02) 4227 7111 and choose option 1 to be put through to our after-hours service.

Stay in touch

Keep up to date with news from Council: