We want to make Wollongong a better place to live and visit for people of all abilities.
We work with people with disability in Wollongong to improve our city. This includes things like:
- Making buildings easier to get into
- Making it easier for people to use our parks, beaches and playgrounds
- Making Council information easier to understand
- Helping people with disabilities to get jobs
- Helping people with disabilities attend events and community activities.
We also try to raise awareness about important issues for people living with disability.
Our Disability Inclusion Action Plan explains how we work to support people with disability.
We made this plan in 2019 with the help of many people in our community who live with disability. We would like to thank everyone who helped with this.
You can read the plan in three formats below.
- Disability Inclusion Action Plan PDF, 14750.35 KB
- Disability Inclusion Action Plan – Word version DOCX, 199.49 KB
- Disability Inclusion Action Plan – easy read version PDF, 2744.86 KB
Recent reports about the things we’ve done so far to meet the goals in our Disability Inclusion Action Plan are shown below.
|PDF File||Disability-Inclusion-Action-Plan-Progress-Report-2020-2021.pdf||574.0 KB|
|PDF File||Disability-Inclusion-Action-Plan-Snapshot-2016-2020-accessible.pdf||2.3 MB|
|PDF File||Disability-Inclusion-Action-Plan-Progress-Report-2019-2020.pdf||618.6 KB|
|PDF File||Disability-Inclusion-Action-Plan-Progress-Report-2018-2019.pdf||596.6 KB|
|PDF File||Disability-Inclusion-Action-Plan-Progress-Report-2017-2018.pdf||608.3 KB|
|PDF File||Disability-Inclusion-Action-Plan-Progress-Report-2016-2017.pdf||602.8 KB|
How we developed this plan
The reports below explain how we worked with our community to prepare the Disability Inclusion Action Plan.
Our Disability Access Guide has information to help you use Council’s services and access information.
Finding a paid job is often harder for people with disability. We asked local people with a disability to share stories about their experiences in the workplace.
You can read more on our EmployABILITY page.
We regularly talk with the community and ask for their ideas to help us make decisions about Council services and projects. It’s important that people with disability have the chance to join these conversations.
To find out about the things we’re currently working on visit the Our Wollongong website or call (02) 4227 7111.
We work to make our community events accessible. You can see a list of upcoming events that have accessible features below, or call us on (02) 4227 7111 to discuss your needs.
Members of our community who have chronic illness or disability need extra help in an emergency.
Prepare NSW has a Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness (PCEP) tool for community health and disability providers. This can be used to support those with chronic illness or disability to prepare, respond and recover from emergencies.
Visit the Collaborating 4 Inclusion website for more information.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food Issues
- Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- Website Issues
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- COVID-19 Support Services Directory
- Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTQIA+ Communities
- Mental Health and Crisis Support
- Affordable Housing
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Social Enterprises
- Reduce Waste
- Sustainable Food
- Gardening and Plants
- Energy and Water
- Learn About Climate Change
- Ride our Bike City