Meet Melahat. She’s a lifelong learner.
Melahat is a passionate aged care professional. She completed a Certificate III in Aged Care six years ago after volunteering for two years at the Multicultural Communities Council of Illawarra.
Melahat delivers in-home care for older people of all nationalities. She takes them shopping, to the doctor, to have lunch or a walk on the beach.
Sometimes she doesn’t speak the same language as her clients, but they use body language to communicate.
Melahat enjoys helping and spending time with her clients as many of them live alone and don’t have family nearby. “When they smile it makes me happy,” she says.
“It’s a social job that’s out and about and not stuck in an office - I might be in Shellharbour in the morning and then Balgownie in the afternoon,” she says.
Go back to Learning City page
Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- 2023 Referendum: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice
- Community Events
- Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards
- Explore Aboriginal Art and Culture
- Aboriginal Businesses and Cultural Tourism
- Local Networks and Services
- Council Programs and Support
- A Brief History
- Aboriginal Community Members' Stories
- Floods and Stormwater
- Coast and Waterways
- Trees and Plants
- Natural Areas
- Native Animals
- Pest Animals
- Climate Change
- Environmental Education
UCI Bike City
- Cringila Hills Mountain Bike Park
- Helensburgh Mountain Bike Park
- Illawarra Criterium Track and Velodrome
- Pop-Up Cycling Routes
- Separated Cycleways
- Using Our Shared Pathways
- Local Bike Tracks
- Info for Cyclists
- Planning for Cycling
- 2022 UCI Road World Championships - Wollongong NSW
- Parking and Transport
- Public Toilets
- Wollongong CBD
- History and Heritage
- Memorial Gardens and Cemeteries
- Sister Cities
- Filming and Photography
- Learning City